Suspenders can be worn at anytime, anywhere, on any outfit and on any occasion. But how to select the most suitable one? There are hundreds of models, materials and types to choose from. How do you know the right one for you? At Wiseguy Suspenders, we have drafted a brief fashion guide to help you get through the world of suspenders. So that you always rock it out there and don’t stay behind on fashion trends!
What to consider when choosing suspenders
With so many options out there, it can seem hard to pick the right one. But once you know what to look for in suspenders, it's really quite easy. The main aspects to consider when looking at suspenders are:
- Button-on or clip-on
What are you going for?
Okay, so there are three topics to consider. But how to choose? Well, your choices depend on the style you're going for. To start off, ask yourself the following questions when choosing what suspenders to wear are:
- Where am I going? What kind of event am I attending?
- What look do I want to project?
- What kind of personality do I want to show?
- What clothes and accessories am I wearing suspenders with?
Let's fit your needs!
Suspenders come in many materials, but the most common difference can be made between elastic and non-elastic materials.
- Elastic suspenders can be plain or with finishes such as glitter or they can feature intricate motifs, colorful patterns or fun prints. Generally, elastic suspenders are the most universal and also the cheapest ones. Go for the bright colorful if you want to be noticed for your bold and fun attitude and wear them on jeans or khaki pants. Great for a hipster, young look, but also for the everyday or casual business look. Stretchy, colorful suspenders are perfectly paired with sneakers and a fedora! Wiseguy suspenders are made of high quality elastic and high quality leather.
- Non-elastic suspenders are generally considered more “serious” or for the rugged type. Leather suspenders especially are often associated to the cowboy, bad yet cool guy. However, if worn with a suit or on a business attire, leather suspenders can really upgrade your look! Rarer or more sophisticated materials such as silk or jacquard will project the classiest look ever and will make you look stylish and high-class when paired with any outfit. Of course, better to pair them with elegant classic shoes!
Thick or thin? It does make a difference! Keep in mind that this is somewhat of a subjective topic. But having been in the suspenders business for years, we'd like to think we got it figured out. That's why we would recommend to always reference the list below.
- Skinny: 0.75 inch / 2 cm – for the stylish, flirty look
- Slim: 1 inch / 2,5 cm – business casual look
- Wide: 1.36 inch / 3,5 cm – heavy duty, workwear
Generally speaking, button-on show an attentive personality and clip-ons a fun, dynamic look. This is simply due to the fact that it takes time to sew buttons to your pants, while clip-ons can be fastened and unfastened in less than a second. Also, button-ons are usually associated to the classy sophisticated look, while clip-ons to the younger, more casual style. However, some schools of thoughts consider button-on obsolete and some others state that clip-ons are a no-no-no. Our suggestions? Just follow what feels right for you! This is why all Wiseguy Suspenders come in both options, so you can be who you want to be and change your mind anytime!
Want to learn more?
Now that we're already perfecting our style we might as well go all the way, right? You may have already found the ideal suspenders through the instructions above. But have you already given a thought to your connector system? Don't worry if that question scares you, we'll walk you through it here.